Social security consulting - Helpers Finance


Service overview

When moving to a new country, you need medical insurance from the very first day. As a result, make sure you learn all you need to know about social security obligations in your new country of residence before you arrive. Our experts can help you just with that.

If you come to Hungary from another EU country, you may already know that each country has their own national social security system. They are free to decide who is to be insured under their legislation, what benefits are available and on what conditions. At the same time, each country has to follow EU regulations in order to provide social security rights to EU citizens when they are moving within Europe. The first and most important rule is that you can be insured in only one member state – this is why it is  essential to identify which member state that should be.

If you come from a non-EU country, first you must get a residence permit, while at the same time you should get health insurance – either becoming covered in the national insurance system of Hungary (e.g. through employment or by a separate agreement) or buying private insurance.

Whether you are an EU or a non-EU citizen, whether you are coming to Hungary for personal, family, or professional reasons, we can help you find the right way to ensure your social security insurance in Hungary.


As an EU citizen moving to Hungary, your child will need a registration card and a registered address. Once they become a resident in Hungary, they will be entitled to use the Hungarian healthcare system.

EU regulations require that you pay social security in one EU country. If you are covered for national insurance in another EU country, you can be exempted from paying social security in Hungary. You just need a valid A1 certificate (formerly known as the E101 certificate).

You will need the European Health Insurance Card to access state-provided healthcare during your temporary stay in Hungary under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in many cases) as people insured in Hungary. Cards are issued by your national health insurance provider.

When moving to Hungary, you will need to register that you are here: get a registration card and register an address where you are going to live. You will also need to register in the social security system and get a Hungarian social security card.

You employer will need both your registered address and your social security number to register your employment with the tax authority and the social security system. When you get your salary, your employer will deduct the social security contribution (as well as the personal income tax) and pay you only your net salary.

When you start paying social security contributions in Hungary, you have to cancel your registration for national healthcare insurance in your home country, as EU regulations require you to be insured only in one EU country. 

The above apply to all citizens of the European Economic Area (EEA): EU member states, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein.